There’s nothing that can make you rush home as quickly as pouring rain can, especially in Kenya where “Hii jua ni ya mvua” is a common phrase! What is crucial however, is to avoid roofing as much as possible during this time. Aside from the rain that falls when you least expect it, Kenya experiences two major rainy seasons in a year; the long rains running from April to June and the short rains that run between October and December.
The rains don’t last forever though, so once the sun is out, bring out the mabati and accessories! With the help of an experienced fundi, you can take the following steps to prevent leaking and strong winds from blowing off the sheets off your roof:
* The direction you lay the sheets in
1) and 2) Lay and secure the first metal panel
3) and 4): Complete the first row and finish the first side of the roof
Secure the metal panels on the other side
5) Attach the peaked ridge cap and seal the roof seams
* Choosing good quality rubber caps is important as cheap caps get brittle and crack quickly after exposure to sunlight.
* Majority of leaks happen at flashings so invest in good, tight flashings around vents, walls or roof junctions
* Keep gutters clean from leaves and debris to ensure good drainage and prevent leaks.
* Make use of ridge caps, valleys and crimped sheets for curved areas on the roof to help prevent water retention.
Using high quality mabati sheets & accessories and experienced fundis is always a plus because at the end of the day, a house needs protection against strong winds and rains that are prevalent during the rainy seasons. Protect your home by taking the first steps to obtain wind and rain resistant roofing by click https://rafikiroofingmabati.com/shop-products/ and select from a wide range of high quality mabati sheets.